Sunday 13 April 2008

Broadcast Rights

On Wednesday my youngest daughter joined me up the plot to "see if Daddy has dug my bed yet" Needless to say, that became job number 0.5 as I finished what I was doing to dig her plot. It had spent the whole of last year covered with black plastic so was nice digging and the soil is lovely. On Thursday, she broadcast sowed some carrots and spring onions together and some calabrese. She wants to do parsnips next so she "helped" me dig the bed for my parsnips. I chose a different area because it would be easier digging but my first fork went straight into a bed of broken glass. Joy - as much time as it should have taken to dig the bed spent getting bits of glass out - and I will still be getting bits out for many years. Anyway, its now dug, has been raked twice and by next weekend, I should get my parsnips in (saved seed).

Have now got two more rows of potatoes in - Picasso and Kestrel. Have now got about three rows worth of potatoes left and will get those in over the next fortnight.

Sowed carrots yesterday. I have broadcast them down a foot wide row in between onions. I covered the seed with seed compost that I had wasted the day before by kicking a tray with ten different seed trays of brassica seed across the garden. I will be getting lots of brassica seedlings popping up where I hope to have carrots popping up. Might let them get big enough to have as micro-salad leaves.

No comments: