Saturday 24 March 2007

Keep up boys and girls!!!!

Following on from yesterday am, yesterday pm I got another 5m row of Home Guard in. Have Arran Pilots up me passage (ph-nar ph-nar) desperately trying to get out. As Icy puts it, the chits are so long, they will soon be developing potatoes.

After the calabrese poked its head above the parapet with 100% germination, the red cabbage followed (100%) again along with Kohl Rabi (also 100%) and the All Year Round Cauli (good germination). The sprouts and swede are coming up in dribs and drabs (older seed) and I have resown where nothing has shown just in case it doesn't. This year I am using the windowsill propagators more as they have handy modules that come in sixes. Sowing a bigger variety of things in smaller unit sizes. For instance - not a huge call for red cabbage, so only have six of them whereas have 12 each of the sprouts, cauli, calabrese etc.

Today, I have sown sweet peppers, some curly kale (only six at this stage, more to follow) and four types of lettuce - Grandpa Admire's, Pablo, Forellenschloss and Bresson Rouge. Trying to grow varieties of salad that aren't available in the shops - although Little Gem, Salad Bowl etc will probably find themtselves up at the plot at some point.

8 comments:

terrace max said...

I haven't heard of any of those lettuce varieties Ady, what type are they?

redimp said...

They are real seeds ones - very nice they look too. well, except for the Bresson one which Debs picked up in Lidls. The Forellenschloss is all speckledy.

redimp said...

Ooops - that doesn't read right - the Bresson one is a nice looking lettuce too :oD

terrace max said...

I got two new types of kale and some Oca from Real Seeds. Along with Seeds of Italy and Jardicentro, they're the nicest to deal with, I think.

redimp said...

Think so too - still owe them £1.50 worth of stamps from something I added to my order. Have their sweetcorn and three squashes too.

teatree said...

I'm just giggling manically..........other than that, no comment :o) !!!!!!!!!!!!

wren said...

Blimey!! What are they on!!!!! I need some! NOW!! Love real seeds, Impy, them there plastic ones are a bugga to germinate...

teatree said...

omg everyones linking lots of shocked shocked smilies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!