Sunday 1 June 2008

A Challenge

I have been challenged by my Mother in Law and Sister in Law to a marrow growing comp so any suggestions from the wider world will be gratefully received. I plan to give my one competition plant as much space as possible. Put in a good deal of cow muck and compost. Plant, possibly bottle cloche for a while. Feed lots of chicken poo and powdered seaweed, regularly water (not at all like me), bury the stem to encourage rooting, restrict to two fruits and in the final few weeks give it a final feed of cheap beer direct into the stem using a wick. If any of that is misguided or there are any better suggestions, please let me know - I must win!!!!!

I have now planted out (in the persistent drizzle) greyhound cabbage, red russian and dwarf curly kale, all year round cauliflower and romanescu. So a bit of an inroad into the brassicas has been made. Still have cavalo nero, red cabbage and ormskirk savoy to get out and have sown some calabrese, trevi cauliflower and swede.

No comments: