Thursday 16 April 2009

Done a Dom

I have sown loads of squash and my cucs - never done it this early before thus the headline. I have not sown all my seeds or all the plants I want (except for cucs if they all germinate and survive) but have treated it as a trial early sowing. If they germinate and survive, then I will still want more of most varieties but I see no harm in this (especially with the summer squash that can be prone to mildew).

Most of my potatoes are now in. I have dug a trench this evening for my final mixed row. I seem to have less of more varieties this year. The seed from the lottie Society was bigger (they have complained when the seed is small) which is a shame as research has shown (and logic in my opinion) makes no difference to final yield - after all the seed's job is done once the haulms break through!

I have prepared a bed for my parsnips which I hope to sow over the weekend. I have planted out my earliest successful sowing of broad beans and peas. I have also started preparing brassica beds and done my first sowing of early carrots (broadcast mixed with compost)

No sign yet of the spuds planted on 14 March - I worry about no-show spuds every year but then they always do. Contrary to my early mumblings though, I am worried that the seed I got from Focus was small and has run out of energy before it got to the surface.

No comments: